How to install Clover Bootloader on Windows 11
But before getting started lets talk about clover first. Clover bootloader is a popular choice for those looking to dual-boot their computers between macOS and other operating systems. The open-source bootloader offers a range of features, including customizable boot options and improved hardware support, making it a popular choice for those who want to run macOS on non-Apple hardware.
One of the main advantages of using Clover is its ability to boot multiple operating systems. Users can select their desired operating system at startup, allowing for easy switching between macOS and other systems like Windows or Linux. Clover also allows for the customization of the boot process, allowing users to choose the default boot volume and modify the boot flags. While Clover is primarily used for dual-booting macOS and other operating systems, it is also possible to install it on a Windows PC. This can be a useful option for those who want to customize their boot process or add additional operating systems to their PC.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of installing Clover on your Windows PC. We’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions and direct links to the files you need to download. With Clover, you can easily dual-boot macOS and Windows on your PC, as well as load custom kexts and configure different boot options. So let’s get started!
Disclaimer : It’s important to note that installing Clover on 11 Windows 11 PC can be a complex process that requires some technical knowledge. If you are not comfortable with the process or do not have experience with installing bootloaders, it may be best to seek assistance from a knowledgeable friend or professional.
Step 1: Assign a drive letter to the EFI partition
The EFI partition is a special partition on your hard drive that contains boot files. By default, this partition is hidden and does not have a drive letter assigned to it. You will need to assign a drive letter to the EFI partition to access it, so you can copy the clover files in windows 11.
1. To do this, open the Command Prompt as an administrator and type the following command: diskpart. Press Enter to start the DiskPart utility.
2. Type the following command to list all disks: list disk. Identify the disk that contains the EFI partition and note its number. (Disk 0 in my case)
3. Type the following command to list all partitions on the disk: list partition. Identify the partition that contains the EFI system files and note its number. (As shown in below image)
4. Type the following command to select the partition: select partition Y, where Y is the number of the partition that contains the EFI system files.
5. Type the following command to assign a drive letter to the partition: assign letter=U, where U is the letter you want to assign to the partition.
Step 2: Install Explorer++ and backup EFI folder
Explore++ is a third-party file manager for Windows that provides advanced features for browsing and managing files and folders on your computer. Explorer++ help in installing clover bootloader in windows11. When viewing the EFI folder, Explore++ offers several features that can be useful for managing the contents of this directory.
1. Now that you have assigned a drive letter to the EFI partition, navigate to the U:\EFI directory using Windows Explorer.
2. Now that you have assigned a drive letter to the EFI partition, navigate to the U:\EFI directory using Windows Explorer.Press “Command + C” on your keyboard or right-click on the folder and select “Copy” to copy the EFI folder.
3. Navigate to the destination location where you want to copy the EFI folder to, and then press “Command + V” on your keyboard or right-click and select “Paste” to copy the folder to that location.
Question: Why do we need to copy the Clover folder to the EFI partition?
Answer: The EFI partition is a special partition on your hard drive that contains boot files. By copying the Clover folder to the EFI partition, we are essentially installing the Clover bootloader on our system. This is necessary to enable us to boot into macOS or other operating systems using the Clover bootloader.
The Clover folder contains all the necessary files and configurations needed for the Clover bootloader to function properly. By copying this folder to the EFI partition, we ensure that the bootloader is properly installed and can be used to select the operating system we want to boot into.
Step 3: Extact and copy Clover folder to the EFI partition
The Clover folder contains the configuration files and drivers needed to boot macOS or other operating systems on a Hackintosh or other non-Apple hardware. It contain CloverX64.efi file, this is the main Clover bootloader file, which is loaded by the UEFI firmware at boot time. Clover help in dual booting the OS like windows system or linux. The configuration files and drivers in the Clover folder are essential for ensuring that the system boots and functions properly, and must be configured correctly in order to achieve stable and reliable system performance.
1. To install clover bootloader, CLover file is required, so download the Clover ISO 5070.tar file from the above link. Extract the files to a new folder on your desktop.
2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the U:\EFI directory and create a new folder called Clover.
3. Copy the entire contents of the Clover folder you extracted in Step 1 to the U:\EFI\Clover directory.
Now, have successfully copied the Clover folder to the EFI partition on your Windows PC. This folder contains all of the necessary files for the Clover bootloader to function correctly.
That’s it! You have successfully copied the Clover folder to the EFI partition on your Windows PC. This folder contains all of the necessary files for the Clover bootloader to function correctly.
Step 4: Create a new boot entry using Hasleo EasyUEFI
Now that you have installed the Clover bootloader on your Windows PC, the next step is to create a new boot entry using Hasleo EasyUEFI. This will allow you to select the Clover bootloader as the default boot option when you start your computer.
Hasleo EasyUEFI is a free and powerful software that allows you to manage the EFI boot options and edit EFI boot entries. Here are the steps to create a new boot entry:
1. Download and install Hasleo EasyUEFI
2. Open Hasleo EasyUEFI and select “Manage EFI System Partitions” from the left-hand menu.
3. In the window that opens, select the EFI partition that corresponds to your Windows installation. Right-click on the partition and select “Create Boot Entry”.
4. In the “Add New Boot Entry” window, enter a description for the new boot entry and select “Linux” as the type. Although the type is Linux, it will still work for Clover.
5. Click “Browse” and navigate to the U:\EFI\Clover directory. Select the CLOVERX64.efi file and click “OK”.
5. Move the new clover boot entry to the top of the boot order list by selecting it and clicking the “Up” arrow until it is at the top.
7. Now, type the below command to check device is connected in fastboot mode or not.
8. Click “OK” to save the new boot entry.
Congratulations! You have now created a new boot entry for the Clover bootloader. When you start your computer, you will be able to select the Clover bootloader as the default boot option and easily switch between macOS and other operating systems. Bootloader now is installed on your windows pc.
Step 5: Test clover bootloader in windows 11
To test the Clover bootloader, restart your computer and press the key to enter the BIOS setup (usually F2 or Delete). From there, change the boot order so that the Clover bootloader is the first boot device.
Save your changes and exit the BIOS setup. Your computer should now boot from the Clover bootloader, and you should be able to select the operating system you want to boot into.
In this guide, we have shown you how to install the Clover bootloader on your Windows PC. With the Clover bootloader, you can easily dual-boot macOS and Windows on your PC, as well as load custom kexts and configure different boot options.
It’s important to note that installing Clover on a Windows PC can be a complex process that requires some technical knowledge. If you are not comfortable with the process or do not have experience with installing bootloaders, it may be best to seek assistance from a knowledgeable friend or professional.
We hope this guide has been helpful in getting you started with Clover bootloader. Remember, the steps provided here are only a guide, and you should always be cautious when making changes to your system. If you encounter any issues during the installation process, seek help from the Clover Bootloader community or other trusted sources.